Viva Pit Senyor! prititit!prititit! The colors, the dances, that prititit - Sinulog Festival is indeed beyond its colors and sounds - it's a beautiful fusion of culture and spirituality.
Yearly, Filipinos have numerous festivals they look forward to. One attended by many is the famous annual Sinulog Festival held in Cebu City on the third Sunday of January.
This festival could be traced back as far as 1521. This was during the time that people believed in pagan views before converting and becoming devotees of Senior Santo Niño. It was through their dance that they showed admiration and devotion to Senior Santo Niño but still following the regular flow of the procession. Ritual dancing in the parade was believed to be a form of prayer to the Child King.
As time passed by, the number of devotees has increased rapidly that this ritual has become a festival. Which has gained the attention of many other Filipinos. And through the years, Filipinos now travel to Cebu just to join, celebrate and be part of this grand procession and festival.
Sinulog Festival 2017 has been formally opened with a parade from Basilica Minore del Sto. Niño to the City Sports Complex last January 6. The main highlight and the most detailed part of the Festival is the Sinulog Grand Parade happened on January 15. Luckily, I had the chance to witness and photograph this year’s grand parade.
Let me share these moments I've captured in this year’s Sinulog Grand Parade.
These are the events in this years’ Sinulog Festival:
January 7 - Parade of Participants
- Pre Pageant Night of Ms. Cebu 2017
January 8 – Cebu City 2017 Marathon.
- Parade of Participants
January 11 – Welcoming of the Balikbayans at the Airport
- Coronation Night of Ms. Cebu 2017
- Sinulog Idol
January 7- 11 – A regular Novena Mass
- Concert held at the Fuente Osmeña, Street Party Bands
January 12 – Welcoming of the Balikbayans at the Airport
- Welcoming party
- The Sinulog Festival Queen Runway Competition and Photoshoot
- Sinulog 2016 Idol Grand Finals
January 13 – Walk with Mary
- Sinulog 2016 Dance Crew Finals
- Sinulog Festival 2016 Coronation Night
- Cebu Popular Music Festival
January 14 – Fluvial and Solemn Procession of the Miraculous Image of Sto. Niño
- Re-enactment of the Baptism of Queen Juana and Rajah Humabon
- Street Vibration & Bike Rally 2016
- Sinulog Fireworks Competion
- Street party
January 15 – Mañanita Mass at Basilica del Sto. Niño
- Pontifical Mass
- Holy Mass
- Kick off of the Sinulog Grand Parade Carousel
- Grand Finale and Grand Fireworks
- Pyrospectacular Show
- Sinulog Dj Mixing Grand Finals Night
- Sinulog Fireworks
January 16 – Awarding
January 31 – Judging of the Sinulog 2017 Photo contest
February 1 – Judging of finalists in Short Film/Video Documentary & Music Video Contest
February 4 – Screening of finalists Sinulog Short Film Festival
- Awarding for Photo, Short Film, and Music Video Contest
Again, Sinulog Festival is indeed beyond its colors and sounds - it's a beautiful fusion of culture and spirituality. Viva Pit Senyor!