I had the chance to visit my hometown and take a break from busy work plus travels. It took me two years to have ample time to enjoy this vacation in the place where I truly belong, a place that will forever be called my “home”.
The moment the bus began to travel from Alabang going to Lucena, my excitement meter also started to rise. Yeah, the elation to see the present look of the environment where I grew up, played, and dreamed to travel, explore, and discover.
I remember riding and top loading (riding on the roof!) on a jeepney from home to school during my skul bukol days. Also the mountain hiking every summer to harvest guavas and duhat in the wild only to end up swimming in seawater lagoons we called locally as Lalao. At yan ang masarap pag laking probinsya! Yeah, those childhood experiences and memories never fade and will forever be treasured.
So that’s the premier hehehe. Maybe I should write a separate post regarding Traveling Morion’s Childhood, and how he got and decided to use the name “Morion” hahaha.
The 3-hour travel from Alabang to Lucena is too short compared to more than 2 years of being away from my “home”.
By the way, this series aims to promote beautiful and interesting spots in my beloved Marinduque Province – The Home of the famous Moriones Festival and The Heart of the Philippines.
Let the Tour Begin!
Spot 1: POCTOY WHITE BEACH
Location : Barangay Poctoy, Torrijos, Marinduque
Category: Public Beach
Entrance Fee : P25
Cottage Fee : P200
Poctoy White Beach is a must see when you visit my hometown – Torrijos, Marinduque. Its approximately 1 kilometer stretch of white-sand beach offers visitors a unique beach experience. One of the "heart of the Philippines’" gems, this public beach is colloquial to perfect summer get-away!
Facing the Sibuyan Sea, the waves are not so big and strong – kids will surely enjoy swimming; the beach area is wide – simply perfect for beach sports. The amazing view from the beach of the province’s highest peak, The Mt. Malindig, is also a superb addition!
Travel Notes: Poctoy White Beach is a public beach. You have to pay the P25 entrance fee. Renting of cottage costs P200 only. Camping is allowed. There are no restaurants in the area, only karinderya and sari sari-stores. From time to time, fishermen are docking in the beach area with fresh-caught seafoods/fishes like Yellow Fin, Dorado, Galunggong, Sardines, and squids. You can buy and ask the canteen owners to cook for you – for a cheap cooking charge.
WHERE TO STAY
- CRB Pension House – Brgy. Poblacion, Torrijos | 15 minutes tricycle/jeepney ride from Poctoy White Beach (west)
- Mixt Apartelle – Brgy. Poblacion, Torrijos | Mobile: +63.919.3668090
- Briones Apartelle – Brgy. Poblacion, Torrijos | Mobile: +63.919.5230697
- Rendevouz Beach Resort – Brgy. Poctoy, Torrijos | fronting the beach area | Mobile:+63.919.5150560
- Village Sunrise Inn – Brgy. Poblacion, Torrijos |Mobile: 09209093674 |E-mail: email@example.com | Website: http://www.villagesunriseinn.com
- Beach Club Cagpo (Private Homestay Resort) – Brgy. Cagpo, Torrijos | 10 to 15 minutes tricycle/jeepney ride from Poctoy (east) | Mobile: +63.921.9932537 (Harry) | Website: vww.clubcagpo.tk
- Jovita’s Paradise – Brgy. Cagpo, Torrijos | 10 to 15 minutes tricycle/jeepney ride from Poctoy (east) | Mobile: +63.920.6293515
- Duds Place Beach Resort – Brgy. Poctoy, Torrijos | walking distance/tricycle ride | Mobile:+63.920.7106603
- Cloma’s Residence – Brgy. Poctoy, Torrijos | walking distance/ tricycle ride | Mobile:+63.920.7106603
- Marilou & Hanspeter Homestay – Brgy. Poctoy, Torrijos | walking distance/tricycle | Mobile:+63.921.7516930
HOW TO GET THERE
From Kamias | Buendia | Alabang | Araneta Terminal, ride in a bus bound for Talao-Talao/Dalahican Port of Lucena City- 4-hour travel. There are also daily trips of Jac Liner Bus directly bound to Marinduque (RoRo bus). See the schedule HERE. At Talao-Talao Port, there are regular trips of RoRo and fast craft going to the island province of Marinduque. There are 2 entry points – Balanacan and Kawit Port. Travel time is more or less 2 hours if by fastcraft and 3 hours if by RoRo.
- If your point of entry is Balanacan Port in Mogpog, ride in a van/jeep bound for Sta. Cruz. At Sta. Cruz Terminal, ride in a jeepney with route going to Torrijos – 1 hour travel time. Tell the driver to drop you off at Poctoy White Beach – 1 hour travel time.
- If your point of entry is Kawit Port in Boac, ride in a van/jeep bound for Torrijos. From Poblacion Torrijos, ride in a jeepney bound for Sta. Cruz- tell the driver to drop you off at Poctoy White Beach – travel time is 15 minutes. You can also hire a tricycle from Poblacion going to Poctoy if you don’t want to wait long in the jeepney terminal.
Don’t worry if you’re lost, We Marinduquenos are one of the friendliest and most accommodating! Am I fair? hehehe