The beach isn’t the only place you can go to for the summer. There are a lot of other destinations that you can opt to choose from. And one destination that you must not miss out for this summer is the enchanted and beautiful Mag-Aso Falls in Negros Occidental.
Mag-Aso falls is located in Barangay Oringao, in the city of Kabankalan, in Negros Occidental. The waterfalls’ name, Mag-Aso, originated from the hiligaynon word, aso’. Which actually means smoke. Wondering why smoke? It is because the twin falls, with the height of eight meters, create smoke after it falls. It’s powdery blue waters is one of the major reasons why a lot of people have started to take notice of it.
And because the resort that has access to the falls is owned by the government, its prices are sure to make your pockets happy. The entrance fee to see this wonderful waterfalls is only 50 Php per person. And that price can even be lowered if you’re a student or a senior citizen. If you want a comfortable place to settle and stay in while you’re in the resort, its cottage prices vary from prices of 100 Php to 1000 Php. You can choose which one you’d prefer. Of course, you prefer to spend the night, it is best to book ahead before your actual trip.
There is a manmade pool inside and its water comes from the falls itself. The pool would be a great place for children to swim and enjoy because it is quite shallow compared to the main waterfalls which might be too deep for their age.
|one of the waterfalls in the upper part of the Mag-aso Leisure Park|
|A short walk down from the first waterfall is this smaller second tier|
A stairway from the resort will lead you down to the main falls and on your way down, you can take a couple of pictures because the stairway gives a perfect view of the waterfalls.
HOW TO GET THERE
- Find your way to Bacolod city. Either via ferry, bus or plane.
- Once you are in Bacolod city, get to the Bacolod South terminal headed to Kabankalan City. (This will be around 2-3 hours)
- After you’ve arrived, get yourself a tricycle ride that could bring you to merkado. Tip: Mercado is a small market where you can also opt to buy things you would like to have in the resort (food, towels, etc.)
- From merkado, you can ride a jeep with a route to Mabinay and just inform the driver you are headed to Mag-Aso.
- You can take a tricycle to the resort after.
The estimated budget per person for your trip for the transportation starting from Bacolod South Terminal is around 350 Php. Cheap isn’t it?
- Bring your own food if you want to save money;
- Get yourself a waterproof case for your phone if you want to take pictures of you in the water. (Just to be safe);
- No matter what happens, do not litter. You leave the place as you saw it.