Indonesia is one of the must-see travel destinations in Asia. This country is filled with rich culture and beautiful sceneries, which feature the beauty of history, nature, and religion. One of the majestic tourist spots in Indonesia is the Borobudur Temple in Kedu Valley, Central Java.
Built during the 8th and 9th century, the Borobudur Temple is a Buddhist Temple representing the phases in attaining Nirvana. It is composed of three temples built on a pyramid base. Each temple represents history, architecture, and religion. The Borobudur Temple Compound itself is a mix of ancient and Buddhist way of worship. The monument is composed of 2, 672 panels and 504 Buddha statutes. Most of the materials used in the monument is stone, and was originally made without cement or anything to keep the panels together.
Due to the significance of the Borobudur Temple to the culture of Indonesia, it was restored by the government of Indonesia and the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The temple was included as a World Heritage Site later on due to its importance in Buddhist architecture and monumental arts. The design of the Borobudur Temple is also exceptional as it mimics the lotus flower, which reflects the creativity and intelligence of Indonesians during the 8th and 9th century.
Visiting the Borobudur Temple is similar to conducting a pilgrimage. You will not only view the artistic built of the monument, but also feel the dedication of the ancestors of Indonesia in the pursuit of attaining Nirvana. Well, the majestic temple itself was built to worship and to harmonize with the universe.
The Borobudur Temple journey requires footwork, for there is no better way to go around the 2,500 square meters monument other than walking. However, there are also handcarts and minibus you can ride in going around the monument.
From Yogyakarta City, the trip to Borobudur Temple is one hour through a car. The monument can also be reached through Semarang for those taking a cruise. There are paid tours to Borobudur Temple but you may also hire a tour guide on site. Aside from Buddha statutes, there are also intricate carvings along the temple walls, which reflect the historical and artistic significance of the monument. Tour guides will help you understand the meaning of the carvings and statutes within the temple.
|Intricate details in the wall of the temple|
- Borobudur Temple is open from 4:30AM up to 6:30PM.
- The main attraction, aside from the temple itself, is the sunrise. Ticket price for sunrise visit is more expensive than the regular rate.
- The best time to visit the Borobudur Temple? Early in the morning - for the magnificent sunrise or in the late afternoon - if you want to avoid the crowd and for the stunning sunset view.
- Since the Borobudur is a place of worship, tourists are advised to be respectful and minimize noise during the tour.
- Make sure to allot enough time - the complex is quite large. It will take time to explore the grounds and appreciate the sights and architecture.
- The tour will comprise of long walks and stairs so be prepared beforehand.
- Remember to wear appropriate clothes - the weather in Central Java is generally hot and humid.
- It is best to bring hats and umbrella, wear protective and comfortable clothing against the hot sun, and bring water. If you forgot to, they are vendors near the entrance of the temple.
- There is a good mobile phone signal in Borobudur Temple complex.
- Bring along a camera - the views are amazing!
- Flying a camera drone is not allowed in Borobudur Temple Complex.
- Bring cash around as some of the best stalls and services in the area are cash-based and does not accept debit/credit card.
- Toilets/restrooms are available.
- After touring the temple, you can also visit the luscious gardens around or view the elephants in the area.
- Entrance Fee (for foreign tourists) is USD 25 (around IDR350,000 or Php1300 - exchange rate as of this writing) for adult and USD 15 (IDR210,000 or Php780 exchange rate as of this writing) for child/student.
- The child/student need to show their Passport or student ID at the ticketing counter to avail child/student rate.
- Prambanan temple and Borobudur temple combined ticket is also available - more cheaper than buying each temple ticket. Combine ticket for Prambanan and Borobudur Temples is valid for 2 days.
|The stunning Borobudur Temple+perfect sunset+ red lady|
HOW TO GET THERE
Going to Borobudur Temple, Yogyakarta City is the most popular and convenient starting point. From Yogyakarta, you can book a Grab Car, GoJek, Taxi or take a public bus going to Borobudur Temple. In our case, since we’re 6 in the group, we rented a car for this 2-day DIY tour – a much cheaper way to explore Special Region of Yogyakarta and neighboring cities/towns.
From Jakarta, the capital city of Indonesia, to Yogyakarta City
|(c)googlemaps, Jakarta to Yogyakarta Route|
- Fly directly from Jakarta City to Yogyakarta City – flight time is approximately 1 hour.
- Cost: IDR 450,000 (approx. Php1700 or 32 USD) to IDR 1,200,000 (approximately Php4400 or 85 USD)
- Below is the list of airlines and sample cost – as of this writing.
|(c)google.com/flights, Jakarta to Yogyakarta|
- Train ride from the capital city Jakarta to Yogyakarata is approximately 8-9 hours.
- Cost: IDR 300,000 (approximately Php1000 or 21USD).
- Routes: Gambir Station to Tugu Station in Yogyakarta orPasar Senen Station to Lempuyangan Station in Yogyakarta
- Below is the schedule of train from Jakarta to Yogyakarta – as of this writing.
|(c)google.com, Jakarta to Yogyakarta train schedule|
- Taking a bus going to Yogyakarta from Jakarta is a 12-hour ride. Bus stops are located in Jakarta Barat and Jakarta Selatan.
- Cost: IDR 150,000 (approximately Php550 or 10 USD) to IDR 230,000 (approximately Php 800 or 16 USD)
- Below is the schedule of bus trip from Jakarta to Yogyakarta – as of this writing.
From Bali Island to Yogyakarta City
|(c)googlemaps, Bali to Yogyakarta route|
- Fly directly from Bali to Yogyakarta City – flight time is approximately one and half hours.
- Cost: IDR 600,000 (approximately Php 2200 or 42 USD) to IDR1,200,000 (approximately Php4400 or 85 USD)
- Below is the list of airlines routing Bali to Yogyakarta – with sample cost – as of this writing.
|(c)google.com/flights, Bali to Yogyakarta flights|
By Direct Bus
- There are regular trips of buses directly going to Yogyakarta from Bali – travel time is approximately 15 hours. Available bus stops at Denpasar Ubung Terminal.
- Cost: IDR 180,000 (approximately Php700 or 12 USD) to IDR 350,000 (approximately Php1300 or 25 USD)
- Below is the schedule of bus trip from Bali to Yogyakarta – as of this writing.
|(c)easybook.com, Bali to Yogyakarta Bus schedule|
From Bandung City, West Java to Yogyakarta City
|(c)googlemaps, Bandung to Yogyakarta route|
- Fly directly from Bandung (Husein Sastranegara International Airport BDO) to Yogyakarta (Adisucipto International Airport) –flight time is approximately 1 hour (direct flight).
- Cost: Minimum of IDR600,000 (approximately Php2200 or 42 USD)
- Below is the schedule of flight from Bali to Yogyakarta – as of this writing.
|(c)google.com/flights, Bandung to Yogyakarta flight|
- Train ride is available from Bandung to Yogyakarta (vv) – see schedule and travel time below.
|(c)google.com, Bandung to Yogyakarta train schedule|
By Direct Bus
- There are regular trips of buses to/from Bandung to Yogyakarta City –travel time is approximately 10-11 hours.
- Route: Gedebage, Bandung, Jawa Barat to Banguntapan, Yogyakarta
- Cost: Minimum of IDR 140,000 (approximately Php550 or 10 USD)
- Below is the schedule of bus trip from Bandung to Yogyakarta from easybook.com – as of this writing.
|(c)easybook.com, Bandung to Yogyakarta Bus schedule|
- Interesting Spots and Things to Do in Special Region of Yogyakarta, Indonesia
- Prambanan Temple Complex in Special Region of Yogyakarta
I would like to say thank you to Indonesian colleagues and friends, Bu Sri, Bu Dahlya, Pak Priyono, Pak Bayu and Pak Sopono; travel buddies, Robin and Welland - for making this Special Region of Yogyakarta and Central Java weekend trip possible.